Thursday, March 8, 2012

Ideas

I have so many other things I should be working on right now (like cleaning my room so the painters that are coming tomorrow morning don't think I'm a slob, eating dinner, or exercising), yet here I am updating my blog.
I've come up with a few ideas for some possible extra income. With gas prices on the rise again, I could really use the dinero. I have intentions to take the necessary steps to take the train to work a few days a week, but that can only help so much. I'd also like to be able to work from home occasionally, but in order to do that, I would need a new laptop (the one I have is at least 6 or 7 years old and is only in one piece because of the bright orange duct tape holding parts together), which requires money that I don't currently have. So here I propose my current ideas:
A few weeks ago, my friend had several friends and acquaintances at her house selling homemade goods. One of the things that someone had made was headbands using ribbon. Normally, I don't bother too much with any kind of headbands as my head is a funny shape and they just end up slipping right off. But these headbands had a handy little addition: small pieces of velcro to keep the ribbon from sliding off one's head. Easy peasy! I'm very tempted to make all sorts of different kinds of similar headbands now, with a few modifications, like using spare fabric. I also want to make fabric watchbands that could be used with the same type of watch face that people use for the beaded watchbands. I just haven't put any together yet as samples. Maybe someday soon...
The other idea is to make diaper cakes. We're throwing a baby shower for a girl at work, and we're using as decorations things she can take home and use for the baby. For example, instead of using tablecloths, you use receiving blankets. Instead of (or in addition to) napkins, baby wipes. We also decided that the centerpiece would be a diaper cake. Shortly after we decided what we were going to do for the shower, I found a super cute picture of a diaper creation: a tricycle! Then I realized, you could make all sorts of fun things out of diapers! I found a few other ideas online...a train, a car, a fire truck, a castle...and a guitar! Who knew??? I'm so excited to play around and see what I can create! And....I've also seen ideas for cakes made out of kitchen or bath towels, used for a wedding or bridal shower gift. So if you know of anyone that's looking for a fun gift, send them my way and we can see what we can come up with!

No comments: