Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Re-commitment

Okay, okay.  I admit it, I have stepped on the scale a few times this week.  Seriously, I need to hide that thing or have someone hide it from me.  I've gone from going months at a time avoiding the thing to checking it every couple of days to see what kind of progress I have or haven't made.  Dear self, you've only been doing this for a week and a half, did you really think you were going to lose ten pounds in that short time?  The truth is, yes.  Yes, I did.  My first few days saw a loss of over three and a half pounds.  When I saw that, I thought to myself, that's incredible!  I know it's not safe to lose more than a couple of pounds a week, but I'm heavy enough that more than that in the beginning is totally fine!  You know what hasn't been fine?  The fact that I've gotten up on that scale several times since then...first thing in the morning, right after going to the bathroom, right after getting out of the shower...and the number has gotten higher.  What is happening???
Well, I think I have the answer...or at least AN answer.  Did I warm up before my workouts?  Yes, if you consider rocking out to Vanilla Ice warming up.  Have I been doing my mobility issues?  You betcha.  Squats, lunges, push-ups?  Modified, yes.  I know my body and its current condition well enough to know that attacking those things fully would do more damage than good.  I've got one knee that it hurts to kneel on because of a surgical scar, and the other one hurts going up and down the stairs (and what is going to help it out?  Squats...go figure).  But I feel like for some of the workouts I've done, especially this week, I've been phoning it in a bit.  Today was active recovery day, which means 15-60 minutes of moderate activity in addition to day-to-day activity.  I sat on my bed all day and thought dancing around a bit while getting ready for bed would suffice.  News flash:  it's not good enough, and I know it.
So this, today, right here, is my official re-commitment.  I commit to giving as much as I can every day, even if it's walking in place for a while.  I commit to using my standing desk for at least two hours of every workday.  I commit to making up any workouts I miss due to scheduling conflicts.  I commit to adding more water until I am drinking, at a minimum, 100 ounces a day.  I commit to being more conscientious of the quantity and makeup of what I eat, not just healthy versus unhealthy.  I'm sure I'll need to re-commit often, sometimes daily, sometimes weekly.  But this is a new beginning to start over.

No comments: